The Protection of Personal Information Act No 4 of 2013 (“POPIA”) has come into effect, and requires organisations to take extra steps to protect your personal information which they may hold. Fairheads Benefit Services (Pty) Ltd (“Fairheads”) is committed to protecting your privacy and ensuring that your personal information is protected.
- What information Fairheads collects and why they collect it
- How Fairheads uses, discloses and protects that information
What Does This Policy Apply To?
This policy applies to personal information collected by Fairheads in connection with the services that they offer.
Fairheads collects, stores and processes personal information (including special personal information) about you that may be used in connection with the administration of your benefits and other activities conducted by Fairheads from time to time.
Reasons for the collection of Personal Information In particular, Fairheads may collect, process and use your personal information:
- To carry out and manage its business operations;
- To service your account and/or manage the benefit held for you;
- To provide benefits and services to clients, members, and/or beneficiaries;
- To confirm and verify identity for security purposes;
- To make payments;
- To confirm that payments made are being used for the benefit of the member/beneficiary;
- To assess and process instructions, queries and requests received;
- To confirm that the member/beneficiary is in the care of the guardian/caregiver;
- To identify and confirm an authorised third party;
- To update records with the correct and current information in order to keep in contact;
- For audit, reporting and record keeping purposes;
- In order to invest the benefit allocated to the member/beneficiary correctly;
- For purposes of archiving emails for disaster recovery purposes, legal reporting obligations, and the like;
- Any related purpose/s; and/or
- Any other legitimate business interests.
The personal information that will be collected and processed about you from time to time may include but is not limited to the following:
- Name and surname;
- Identity number;
- Contact Information;
- Banking details;
- Educational information;
- Employment status;
- Health/Medical information (where applicable);
- Biometric information such as fingerprints and voice recording, etc (where necessary).
- In certain cases Fairheads may send your personal information to an authorised third party to verify your information, for example: verifying your bank account details with your bank.
- Where this is necessary, Fairheads will do so if these third parties are subject to the laws that require them to protect your personal information.
- Your personal information may be stored for as long as is necessary for the purposes for which it is collected or such longer periods as may be required from time to time.
- Your personal information may be transferred to locations outside of South Africa and may reside outside of South Africa from time to time. It is very important that you too keep your personal information safe and that you do not disclose your information to anyone (including family members, neighbours and friends) as this may result in fraud, identity theft or banking theft.
For legal reasons
Fairheads will share personal information with companies, organisations or individuals outside of Fairheads, if they have reason to believe that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable government request;
- detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud or security issues;
- protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Fairheads, it clients or the public as required or permitted by law.
Privacy rights and who to contact
You have the right to tell Fairheads if you:
- would like them to correct, update, or if appropriate delete your personal information in records;
- would like a copy of the personal information that they hold about you; or
- wish to report any misuse of your personal information to:
P O Box 4994
Safeguarding your personal information
Fairheads will take all reasonable safety measures to protect your personal information.
Access to your personal information is restricted to restrict unauthorised access. Access to your personal information is only permitted to Fairheads’ employees in order to carry out their duties or to authorised third parties who are subject to the laws that require them to protect your personal information.
Version1: 1 November 2014